Last Updated on June 17, 2020 by Cristina
Two important tools play a big role in getting a close shave – shaving cream and your razor. A shaving cream is one of the most important components in shaving. It can make or break your day. A quality razor is also essential in your shaving routine. The type of razor you choose could determine the kind of shaving cream you use. But, what is the best shave cream for safety razor?
Shaving with a safety razor seems to be increasing in popularity again. While it might be a little difficult to grasp, with the right guidelines and of course the best shaving cream, it could be a walk in the park.
Nicks and cuts are inevitable if you don’t use the right kind of shaving cream with a safety razor. We would go through some of the best shaving creams in the market for a safety razor. We cannot choose the best without discussing safety razors itself and the different types of razors we have.
Best Shave Cream for Safety Razor: What is Safety Razor?
A “safety razor” is a shaving tool with a protective device positioned between the edge of the blade and the skin. It utilizes a razor blade that is shielded beneath a robust metal body. It was designed to replace the straight razors giving a close shave with little injuries.
Most shaving experts consider straight razors the granddaddy of razors for shaving because of the smooth and close shave it gives but it requires a high level of expertise (like really high). Safety razors are probably the next best thing depending on what you prefer. It also has a high learning curve like the straight razor which is why many men opt for easier to use razors like cartridge and electric razors. Once mastered, however, the smooth shave a safety razor gives could rival that of a straight razor.
Types of Safety Razors
There are several types of safety razors to choose from based on your preference:
- Twist-to-open razor (One piece): It is also known as butterfly and consists of only one piece. This means no part is detachable when cleaning or changing the blades.
- Three-piece design: This is not as common as it used to be. Some men still prefer it though because it is durable and can be properly cleaned due to its detachable parts.
- Single edge safety razor: This is vintage stuff. This was the first type of safety blade made. It is still one blade but instead of having two sides to shave from, it’s just one side.
- Double edge safety razor: This is by far the most popular type of safety razor. From the name itself you know the razor has a double shaving edge. This means that both sides of the blade can be used. The great thing about this razor is when one side of the blade doesn’t shave well anymore, you can start using the other side. This saves a lot of cost on blades. It is also great for those with acne or skin irritation.
Best Shaving Cream for Safety Razor
Most boys and men have come to realize that shaving is an art and must be done properly. If not, you would look worse than a painting from a washed-up artist. You should learn the art and also know what works for you and what doesn’t.
Most quality shaving creams would do well with a safety razor. Using just any type of shaving cream with a safety razor is bound to cause troubles for you and its best you use creams made for them.
Using the right shaving cream would protect your skin as the razor smoothly glides over it while cutting your hair. Your cream should give a smooth feel when shaving. The very best should have a decent lather but not so much that it gets in the way of shaving.
These are shaving creams made to be used with a safety razor blades:
- Tubed Cream: It looks like toothpaste but it is absolutely not. Using it on your teeth would probably remove your gums (LOL).
- Bowl Cream: They usually come in bowl-shaped containers. Most traditional shaving creams come in this form.
- Shave Soap: They are shaving creams formed into a bar. If you decide to use a shaving soap you would likely need a shaving brush and mug to properly create a lather for your shave.
Safety razors go well with most types of shaving cream, gel, oil or soap but its best with traditional shaving creams or soaps. We would only discuss the creams as shaving soaps are a topic on their own.
Reviews of the Best Shave Cream for Safety Razor
Traditional shaving creams have a decent amount of lather and go well with safety razors. They provide a well-insulated layer on your skin and also will ensure that your skin bends to the safety razor blade in order to ensure a smooth and close shave.
Some of the best shaving creams that are suitable for safety razors would be reviewed below while also choosing the best amongst the reviewed ones.
One of the most popular shaving creams there is. This shave cream gives the ultimate smooth gliding shaving action with little chance of nicks or cuts. It contains skin-friendly ingredients such as Macadamia seed oil and Aloe which are designed to keep your skin healthy. It is suitable for any kind of razor especially safety razors and is an absolute bargain for your money. It also comes in Sandalwood scent if that’s what you prefer.
- It gives a super smooth shaving action
- A little goes a long way
- It helps prevent nicks, cuts and razor burns
- One of the best budget-friendly shaving creams
- It doesn’t have the best lather
- Slight residue in the face after shaving
With its pro-soothe technology, this shaving cream is clinically proven by dermatologists to help provide a close and comfortable shave and to help prevent razor bumps and ingrown hairs. In other words, this cream was made with safety razors in mind.
- It helps prevent ingrown hairs
- Has soothing effect on the skin
- It is awesome for those with sensitive skin.
- It doesn’t have a rich lather
This is a great product to prepare your face for shaving. It contains natural ingredients such as eucalyptus, glycerine, and menthol. The lather helps to soften the beard making the blade glide through your beard while acting as a shield for the skin against the blade to help prevent bumps.
- It is suitable for sensitive skins
- It has a rich lather which softens the beard before shaving
- It is a great moisturizer for the skin.
- It dries up easily
- Scent not suitable for everyone
- It is not suitable for all types of razors.
What makes this shaving cream different from lots of products out there is that it contains zero additives and made from natural ingredients. Additives like alcohol, dyes, parabens, and sulfates are all absent from this product. Instead, it contains Aloe which helps your razor glide smoothly over your skin. It is good for sensitive skin and helps protect the skin from skin irritation.
- It contains natural ingredients like Aloe
- Additives free
- It helps prevent skin irritation
- It has a good lather.
- It has a mild scent which could still be off-putting for some users
- It might not be great for wet shaving.
This is a wholly organic product that’s awesome for someone new to safety razors (could serve as a gift). Of course from the name, the stand out product is caffeine which is a good antioxidant that would help to reduce skin irritation during and after shaving. The natural oils it contains helps to boost the caffeine present in it.
- It is made from natural ingredients
- Rich enough lather to be compatible with all kinds of blades including safety razors
- It gives good hydration.
- The tube is small so contains little product
- The scent might not be suitable for everyone.
You really cannot go wrong using any of the above creams for your safety razor. Using factors such as ease-of-use, lather, ingredients, price, and of course reviews from users we’ve been able to choose the best of the bunch.
The best shaving cream for safety razor has to be Cremo Astonishingly Superior Shaving Cream. While not lather-rich as most traditional shaving creams, it still allows a very close shave without nicks and cuts. Most importantly, it is very budget-friendly and can last for a long time.
In conclusion, the rise in popularity of safety razors is great. Finding the right shaving cream to go with the razor is even greater. You should get to know your skin type to find the best razor and cream that works for you so your shaving routine would be smooth sailing. Get your hands on some of the best shaving creams out there and you would not regret it. Those are the best shave cream for safety razor.
That’s all today fam. We do hope you’ve learned a thing or two today. We appreciate your comments and would answer any questions you might have. Till next time!