Last Updated on November 28, 2021 by admin
Shaving is not an easy task for any man. It is even more daunting for men with sensitive skin as it takes quite a toll on their skin. In this piece, we would show that investing in a quality shaving cream is the best thing you can do for your beard and skin. We will also find the best shaving cream for sensitive skin.
Due to their dread for shaving, men with sensitive skin opt to let their beard grow wild. This alternative isn’t as easy either as they would have to deal with itchy beards. Man, they can’t catch a break!
A proper approach would be to seek out the right tools such as shaving razor, and very importantly, a shaving cream. Using the right shaving cream can significantly lift your shaving game to a whole new level.
Choosing the Best Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
Shaving cream is a cosmetic cream designed to be lubrication between your skin and the razor blade to facilitate shaving. There are different types of shaving creams – aerosol, jar creams (traditional), oils, gels, and soaps.
The type you choose would be based on your several factors, including your overall preference. For this article, our focus would be on more traditional creams and gels. Most men generally agree that they tend to give better results than other types of shaving cream.
Men with sensitive skin have to be meticulous in their selection for a suitable shaving cream. Using an inappropriate cream would make your shave hurt more than Gollum biting Frodo’s fingers off.
What Does it Mean to Have Sensitive Skin?
Some might ask (beginners), what is sensitive skin, and how do I know if I have one?
The cause of sensitive skin is not really clear. It could be as a result of medical skin conditions, exposure to extreme weather, or perhaps using products containing harsh chemicals on the skin.
At one point or another, we’ve had to deal with skin reactions from using certain products or ingredients. When this kind of thing persists, then you have sensitive skin. Signs that men have sensitive skin include:
- Prone to rashes and bumps
- Men with dry skin or dry beard batches
- Men with acne
- Men with eczema
- Ingrown hairs
- Itchy skin
- Sensitive to sunlight
- Skin reacts to bad weather
Criteria for Buying Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
Some men have confirmed that finding the perfect shaving cream for your beard is better than falling in love. We couldn’t agree more.
There are thousands of products out there in the market. Many have had to try hundreds of products to find the right fit. Some of us probably deserve a medal for the number of shaving creams we’ve had to use.
The next time you want to purchase a shaving cream for your sensitive skin, there are factors to consider. Each factor would be more or less important, depending on your preference.
- It should contain natural ingredients. As much as possible, purchase products made only from natural ingredients. Be aware of your allergies, so you know the ones to avoid.
- A quality shaving cream for sensitive skin would not contain harsh chemicals. Chemicals like Glycol, Palmitic acid, Isopentane, etc. should be avoided.
- Look for ingredients like Aloe, glycerin, shea butter, and natural oils. Aloe especially is vital due to its soothing properties on the skin.
- Shaving Lubrication: Shaving creams that offer excellent lubrication is essential for men with sensitive skin.
- Avoid shaving creams with fragrance.
- Price: There is no need to say much about this. You should only buy what you can afford but make sure it is quality.
Shaving Tips for Sensitive Skin
You could have the best shaving cream and blade in the world, but if you don’t shave the right way, your shaving experience would be terrible. Here are a few tips to guide you:
- Prepare your skin for shaving by washing your face with warm water. This helps relax the hair follicles.
- Invest in quality razors. Just like a quality shaving cream would significantly increase your shaving experience, so will a quality razor. Using a dull blade would make shaving ineffective and irritate your skin. Do away with disposable razors as they are not suitable for sensitive skin. A quality safety razor is recommended.
- Be gentle. Apply light pressure on the blade. Make sure to shave in the direction of growth.
- Shave less often. Shaving every 2-3 days is advisable.
- Using aftershave is very important for sensitive skin. This soothes the skin and provides moisture. Ensure it is alcohol-free.
- Cleanse your skin gently every morning and night.
- Moisturize your skin every morning and night.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week.
Best Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
After a series of market research, these shaving creams made our list of best shaving cream for sensitive skin. Some of the creams reviewed were specifically designed for sensitive skin while the others are versatile and good for pretty much all manner of skin. These creams allow you to maintain a shaving routine with no fear of irritation.
Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Luxury Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
Taylor of Old Bond Street is probably as old as shaving. A true classic that comes up on almost every list for best shaving creams. They came through again with this product, which was designed for men with sensitive skin who prefer traditional shaving creams.
As expected of any shaving cream for sensitive skin, it contains Aloe and is allergen-free so you wouldn’t expect any harsh reactions during and after shaving.
- Suitable for any razor
- It gives a smooth shave
- Mild scent
- Applied best with a brush
- It is pricey
Proraso Shaving Cream, Sensitive Skin
Do you want a quality shaving cream for sensitive skin that wouldn’t burn a hole in your pocket? You have a friend in Proraso. Like most traditional creams, it has a super-rich lather. It ensures your blade is well lubricated as you shave.
While it doesn’t contain Aloe, it has several natural extracts such as green tea to help soothe your sensitive skin.
- Contains natural ingredients
- It is affordable
- It has a great lather
- The smell is not that great
- Best applied with a brush
- Lather too thick for disposable blades
Neutrogena Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream
Neutrogena was designed for men with sensitive skin. It is clinically proven to give a close shave without the side effect of ingrown hair or skin bump. All while improving the overall health of the skin.
If you struggle with acne and other skin-related issues, this is the cream for you. It, however, doesn’t give much lather like most traditional shaving creams which could be a pro or con depending on the user.
- It has a soothing effect on the skin
- Compatible with many razors
- Reduces shaving irritation
- It doesn’t have a rich lather
JACK BLACK Beard Lube Conditioning Shave
What makes this product unique is that it is 3-in-1. It serves as a pre-shave oil, skin conditioner, and of course a shaving cream. It is different from most traditional creams as it does not lather and is more of a gel.
It contains Macadamia nut oil which soothes the skin while shaving making it an excellent fit for men with sensitive skin.
- 3-in-1 product
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- It can be applied without a brush
- It has a thin consistency which doesn’t suit some men
- It is quite expensive
The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream, Unscented
One of the most popular shaving creams out there, and we’re not surprised. Made for different types of skin but men with sensitive skin are astounded by the comfortable shave it gives.
The base formula of glycerin and coconut acid will leave your face smooth long after shaving. The art of shaving company uses only premium natural ingredients for their products, which is why this one also comes very pricey.
- It has a rich lather
- It can be applied with hand or brush
- It is pricey
PS: You should know that the thicker your shaving cream is, the worst it would work with disposable razors.
The above-reviewed products are some of the best in the market which come highly recommended by most men for sensitive skin. You wouldn’t go wrong picking any of the above.
However, if we were to choose, the best if the bunch has to be Proraso Shaving Cream, Sensitive Skin. It offers everything any premium shaving cream would but at a much lower price.
We also recommend using a shaving oil alongside your shaving cream for extra lubrication. Adding a drop or two before shaven would lessen the impact the razor blade would have on your skin, especially if the blade is sharp.
The best product in the market might not always be the best for your skin. You should always choose what works best for you. There’s no best fit for all. Always do your research to find what suits you.
We hope this article was helpful, and you would be able to utilize what you’ve learned here for your next purchase. We love to hear from you in the comments section.